International

Netanyahu Warns Turkiye After Syria Strike

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel sent a “clear message” to Turkiye after carrying out airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur airbase, warning that Israel would not tolerate a Turkish military foothold moving southwards in Syria. Ankara has rejected Israel’s justification for the attack.

Netanyahu Warns Turkiye Over Syria Military Presence

Netanyahu said Israel had previously conveyed its opposition to any Turkish military buildup in Syria in general terms.

He suggested those warnings were not sufficiently understood, prompting Israel to deliver the message more directly through its latest action.

Israel has argued that an expanding Turkish military presence in Syria could threaten its security and alter the strategic balance near its borders.

Israel Strikes Abu al-Duhur Airbase in Syria

Israeli aircraft struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northwestern Syria on August 18, damaging infrastructure including the runway and hangars. No casualties were reported.

The strike came after a Turkish delegation reportedly visited the facility. Israel alleged that Syria was moving towards allowing a Turkish military deployment at the base.

Syrian authorities have disputed that account, saying there were no plans to establish a Turkish military base at Abu al-Duhur and that the facility would remain under Syrian control.

Turkiye Rejects Israel’s Syria Claims

Turkiye strongly condemned the Israeli strikes and rejected claims that its activities in Syria represented a threat to Israel.

Ankara accused Israel of using the Turkish presence as justification for military action and reaffirmed its support for Syria’s security and reconstruction.

The confrontation has intensified growing Israel-Turkiye tensions over Syria, where both countries are seeking to protect competing strategic interests as the country’s post-war political and security landscape evolves.

Related Posts